Monday, February 20, 2012

Turn, turn, turn...

In a few short days, I'll get to see the Kai.  I wonder what will be the first thing I notice.  I have a feeling, it will be all the things that are different...the change.

change/CHānj/

Verb:
Make or become different
Noun:
The act or instance of making or becoming different.
Synonyms:
verb.  alter - exchange - vary - shift - convert - transform
noun.  alteration - shift - variation - exchange - mutation
 
At a glance, I'll see immediately that his hair is gone.  Sure..it's "just hair"...but his, for many years, has been part of his "look"...a part of his uniqueness.  For people who didn't know him, I've heard him described as "the one with the cool hair".  Well....he's not that guy anymore...
 
He's mentioned to me that he's enjoyed Sundays, when he gets to go to church, in part because it's the only time he can talk and smile without worrying about getting in trouble.  For those who DO know him, he's not just "the one with the cool hair"...he's also "sooooo funny!"  While I was working at the high school, this is what I heard most often from students when they'd find out that the Kai was mine.  "He is soooo funny!!"  And it's true!  My kidlet is hilarious...very quick-witted and sarcastic (can't imagine where he gets it). 
 
But...will we see that this weekend?  I know he can't become un-funny....but, I also realize that if anything can jolt a person into manhood, it's basic training.  Will I see that more grown-up, responsible, serious side this weekend?  Will some of that joke-for-everything Kai be forever gone?
 
I know I'm losing some of my boy...not of his love...not of the great person he is...these things will never change.  But....there IS change...and there will be more.  Overall, I think that he will stand a little taller, walk a little prouder, look a little wiser.
 
And though I thought it wasn't possible, I will love him even more.

No comments:

Post a Comment