Monday, February 20, 2012

What do you say???

I've noticed an alarming trend going here lately.  Not sure when or how it started, but I sure do wish it'd stop.  There is a growing number of people who don't know how to say "You're welcome."  It's frightening, really.

See, parents have no problem teaching kids how to say "thank you".  After anything is handed to them, some adult is immediate on them with "What do you say?"  It's drilled into them.  But, somewhere along the way, people have stopped teaching their kids to say, "You're welcome".  I wish I was kidding.

I've found that there are a few categories of people:

1)  The ones who get it right.  I say, "Thank you", they respond, "You're welcome".  Life goes on.  Everyone is happy...especially me (and as we all know...it's all about me!)

2)  The ones who respond to "thank you" with...."thank YOU".  Hmmm....well, this is ok, I suppose....IF you really have something to thank me for in return.  But, for instance, if you've just refilled my glass of tea and I say, "thank you"....what in the heck do you have to thank ME for?  Just say, "you're welcome".  It makes me happy. =D

3)  The alternate answers. =/  The most common seem to be "mhm!" and "no problem!"    Let's talk about "mhm".  Um....don't.  Just stop it.  It's rude and makes you seem completely disconnected.  I just THANKED you, dangit!!  And..."no problem"?  Well, I didn't assume it was a "problem" (cuz...very often, it's your JOB!)...so, no need to clarify that it isn't a problem.  Just...tell me I'm welcome.  I don't even care if you mean it or not. =)

4)  Lastly, there's the "________".  Yup...these people have NO response!  I say, "thank you"...they have NOTHING to say!!  Whaaaaaa????  Maybe I should shout out to their backs as they walk away, "WHAT DO YOU SAY?!?!?!"

And these people, my friends, are the people who very often decide to work as wait staff at our local restaurants and at many of our local stores.  The non-you're welcomers.  What is UP with that?!?!

We can turn this thing around, people.  If you manage a business....teach your employees these wonderful words.  If you're a parent...teach your children that the conversation doesn't end at "thank you".  If *I* thank you for something, just say "you're welcome". 

Oh....and when you do, please be sure that in your mind, you're spelling that "you're"...NOT "your"...or you're likely to be the subject of my next rant! =D

Thanks, guys!  (All together now.....You're welcome!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment