Thursday, February 2, 2012

All Smiles (my kid can do that to ya!)

On the way to work this morning, my phone started ringing.  It was in my purse, and typically the only people that are brave enough to call me in the morning are people FROM work.  Since I was almost there anyway, I decided NOT to try to dig my phone out. 

I arrived just a few minutes later and pulled my phone out...only to see that it was the KAI who had called!!  After a mild coronary, I called him back....praying that he would be able to answer!!  HE DID!! =D

So...for those who've been asking (and for those who've accidentally stumbled onto this and have continued to read anyway)...here's the update on the Kai!

First off, he sounds tons better than he did last Sunday when I talked to him.  (at that point, he said his flight had been in a lot of trouble that week AND he'd also been given the worst duty possible...Latrine Queen. =/ ) 

So...as Latrine Queen, he has to stay up every night after lights-out...he gets 3-4 others in his flight to help him (he alternates people).  With flashlights shined at an angle, they lint-roll the entire floor of the restroom. =/  He says it's about a 40-minute job.  LINT-ROLL the floor!!!  This is a boy that I couldn't really swear in a court of law even HAS a floor in his bedroom...though I'm FAIRLY certain there's one under all the socks, shoes, gum-wrappers, etc.  (He's a GREAT guy...but he got his organization skills from me. =^| )

He also gets up early in the morning to clean again.  So...he's losing a lot of sleep (and by the way, he's mentioned that he has even LESS time to write now....so for those of you who haven't gotten letters, I promise he hasn't forgotten about you, he just really doesn't have time.)

BUT...despite having the "worst" duty...the duty he'd told me on Sunday that NO one does without getting in trouble, they made a 9 out of 10 on their inspection last night...which hadn't been done before!  So...go Kai!!

Also, next week is "Beast Week".  You can read about that here:  http://usmilitary.about.com/od/airforcejoin/a/afbmtbeast.htm .  It is basically being out in the elements, putting everything they've learned about combat situations in practice. They go through simulated attacks and for four days straight have to be completely dressed with all body armor and carry all their gear (even when they're eating or sleeping as "attacks" could happen at those times too).  Their instructors don't serve as "leaders" during Beast Week...but instead watch from a tower above.  Some trainees are chosen as leaders for this week.  Well....the Kai has been chosen as a TDL (Tactical Deployment Leader)!  He will be one of the trainees responsible for the day-to-day "war" operations and scheduling the manning of the defensive firing positions.  Pretty cool! That's my boy!

Also, they were trained in CPR this week and putting up their tents and FINALLY, his flight did something right (they've been bringing up the rear for the first 4 weeks).  They were the fastest to get their tents up. =D

And lastly...everyone's been asking me about the food. lol  (And I'll agree...food is pretty darn important!)  He says it's pretty good...but just repetitive.  He says some people complain about it, but that he likes it alright. =)

So, there ya have it.  After his "down" call on Sunday, this call was GREAT!!  He sounds like he's in good spirits...and he feels good that he's been given some responsibility.  We're crossing our fingers for Honor Graduate!  Only 3 weeks to go!!  Thank you all for your support, for your letters...and especially for your prayers!!  God bless our troops...and God bless America!!

No comments:

Post a Comment